Fields derived from Linguistics
- Applied Lexicography (interdisciplinary sub-field) the practice of creating dictionaries
- Computational Linguistics (interdisciplinary sub-field) the scientific study of language by means of computational methods
- Epigraphy (interdisciplinary sub-field) the study and interpretation of ancient inscriptions
- Etymology (interdisciplinary sub-field) the study of word origins
- Lexicography (interdisciplinary field) the study of vocabulary in a given language
- Literary Science (interdisciplinary field) the scientific study of literature, its history, development, and theory
- Neurolinguistics (interdisciplinary sub-field) the scientific study of the relationship between brain processes and language
- Palaeography (interdisciplinary sub-field) the study of past writing systems and the dating of historical manuscripts
- Philology (interdisciplinary sub-field) the study of oral and historical written language
- Psycholinguistics (interdisciplinary sub-field) the scientific study of the relationship between human behavior and language
Terms related to Linguistics
- Adjective "a classification for words that specify attributes of nouns"
- Adverb "a classification for words that specify the mode of action of a verb"
- ISO 639-3 Language Identifiers "the classifications of languages according to the ISO 693-3 standard"
- Language "structured human communication like speech, writing, or gestures"
- Noun "a word classification for persons, places, or things"
- Sentence "the largest structural unit in terms of which the grammar of a language is organized"
- Verb "a word classification for actions"
PsychLing Contributors. "Linguistics." PsychLing, OMNIKA Foundation, 9 Sep. 2023, psylng.org/glossary/field/linguistics. Accessed 10 Dec. 2023.
PsychLing (2023, September 9). Linguistics. Retrieved from https://psylng.org/glossary/field/linguistics
APA Contributors. "APA Dictionary of Psychology." Washington, DC: American Psychological Association. Accessed September 14, 2023. https://dictionary.apa.org. [Visit]
Crystal, David, ed. A Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics. 6ed. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing, 2011.
Internet Archive Contributors. "Wayback Machine." San Francisco, CA: Internet Archive. Created October 24, 2001. Accessed July 21, 2023. https://web.archive.org. [Visit]